Earlier this week, fans were shocked and saddened to hear the passing of legendary Irish singer, Sinéad O’Connor.
The Dublin native rose to fame following her first album The Lion And The Cobra in 1987, which received critical acclaim.
She also found enormous success with her second album, I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got, which included the sensational hit, Nothing Compares 2 U.
Now, RTÉ is set to pay tribute to the singer-songwriter across all platforms over the course of the weekend with an array of shows.
Here’s what you can catch and where you can catch them…
- Sinéad O’Connor – Live at Vicar Street on RTÉ One and RTÉ Player on Saturday Night. For this hour long special, recorded live in Vicar Street in 2002, Sinéad was joined by her remarkable band for this inspirational and uplifting performance. The programme includes performances of iconic tracks including Molly Malone, My Lagan Love, Nothing Compares 2 U and Fire On Babylon.
- Up For The Match on RTÉ One and RTÉ Player on Saturday night will be remembering Sinéad.
While the following content is currently available on the RTÉ Player:
The Meaning of Life with Gay Byrne (Originally broadcast in 2009)
Singer-songwriter Sinéad O’Connor talks about the impact that her religious upbringing had on her life and the evolution of her spiritual beliefs.hereFor One Night Only – Sinéad O’Connor (Originally broadcast in 2012)Watch
Sinéad O’Connor brings Gay Byrne on a musical journey that spans the length of her varied career. She talks openly about her struggles with depression, religion, where her love of music comes from, her relationship with her mother, how her outspoken nature has gotten her into trouble and her hopes for the future.hereThe Tommy Tiernan Show (Originally broadcast in 2020)Watch
Tommy meets John Bishop, Sinéad O’Connor and Marty Morrissey and Lyra performs her song ‘Mother’.hereWatch
- RTÉ Radio 1, 2FM and RTÉ Lyric FM will be delving into the archives for previous interviews with and performances by Sinéad over the years.
- Programmes including Mystery Train on RTÉ Lyric FM, Tús Áite on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta, The Ray D’Arcy Show and The Brendan O’Connor Show on RTÉ Radio 1 will also pay tribute to Sinéad over the course of the weekend
- RTÉ.ie will host a curated archive of some of Sinéad’s performances and interviews throughout the years, looking back at her remarkable contribution to Irish life and music. This page can be accessed through the home page of RTÉ.ie or by clicking here.
- Sinéad made her television debut on The Late Late Show with Gay Byrne in 1988, in the 35 years since, she appeared on the programme on several occasions. In 2019 she spoke about reverting to Islam and her relationship with wearing a hijab (watch here), she performed a cover of The Pogues’ classic, Rainy Night in Soho (watch here), and closed the show with an iconic performance of Nothing Compares 2 U (watch here). Her final appearance on The Late Late Show was in 2020 when she spoke about caring for others (watch here).
Sinéad O’Connor – Live at Vicar Street on RTÉ One and RTÉ Player at 11:15pm on Saturday 29th July.