Summer is a time for barbecues!
And we all know someone who rules the grill or at least likes to think they do. But do you have what it takes to be Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master?
Well, ALDI is on a quest to find the kings and queens of BBQ with one lucky winner being crowned Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master.
Later this summer, one lucky winner will be crowned Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master and will win a €5,000 ALDI gift card for first prize, plus an ALDI Egg BBQ. Four lucky runners-up will get their hands on a €250 ALDI gift card and ALDI summer hamper.
To help you get in the spirit, top chef John Relihan has shared his favourite barbeque recipe, a steak sandwich!
John started his culinary career as an apprentice of Jamie Oliver, working his way up to serve as top chef at Barbecoa, Oliver’s celebrated barbecue and steak restaurant in London.
Today, John is widely regarded as one of Ireland’s top pitmasters and is currently stationed at Pitt Bro’s Smoked Barbeque restaurant in Dublin.
As a fire cooking expert, he hosts his own deluxe BBQ dining experience, Twe12ve Fires, around the country and this summer John is taking on the role of head judge for ALDI’s Hottest Grill Master competition.
ALDI Bord Bia Assured, 100% Irish, Ribeye Steak Sandwich with Herb Brush
- 400 g Ribeye steak
- 1 Red onion (Sliced)
- 150g Chestnut mushrooms
- 50g Cheddar cheese grated
- 30 g unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Soft loaf of Bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 30g Whole Grain mustard
- 30g Horseradish sauce
- 1 handful of Mixed Leaf salad
- Butcher string
- Wooden spoon
- 50 g salted Butter
- Pre-heat the grill using charcoal, wait until the charcoal gets hot, keep half the grill hot and half on a low heat (using less charcoal)
- Remove the steak from the fridge and rub the outside with olive oil and season with sea salt
- Peel the onions and slice them into 2cm-thick rounds, toss in some olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Toss the portobello mushrooms in a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- To make the herb brush tie the rosemary onto the wooden spoon tightly using the butcher string to create a brush, melt the butter in a small pot, and when ready place the rosemary brush into the melted butter
- When the grill is hot place ribeye steak on the hot side, sear the steak with grill marks and turn the steak to sear the second side.
- When turning the steak baste with the rosemary brush & a little butter
- Add the onions and the mushrooms to the grill to cook and turn to get some nice colour.
- Once you have colour, you can move them to the lower heat side of the grill to continue cooking until soft
- Cut the bread lengthwise, and brush with butter on both side and place on the grill to toast off
- When the bread is ready place on the board and add the horseradish sauce to the bottom side, and whole grain mustard to the top side
- Remove the steak from the grill and leave to rest for 3 – 4 minutes
- Once rested, slice the steak and place on the horseradish, add the cheese on top and follow with the grilled mushrooms and red onions.
- Using a mixing bowl, add the mixed leaf salad and a squeeze of lemon juice, mix the salad and place on top of the grilled mushrooms and onions
- Place the top side of the bread on top and enjoy
ALDI is calling on the people of Ireland to submit their nominations to the Hottest Grill Master Competition, so if you want to show off your smoking hot BBQ skills simply log onto ALDI.ie/hottest-grill-master to tell us why your nominee deserves to win the title of Ireland’s Hottest Grill Master.
Competition entries are now open and close on 5th July so make sure to fire those entries over! For more information, and all competition Terms & Conditions, visit ALDI.ie/hottest-grill-master.