Chef Paul Flynn is on a journey to find Ireland’s best food trucks this summer!
This week, he’s all about beef dishes as he travels to Newcastle, County Down to visit a truck serving an award-winning burger.
Back in Dungarvan, Paul makes Beef Empanadas and Short Rib Rolls to serve from his own food truck at the Burren Birds of Prey Centre.
And if you’re drooling over these delicious meals, then we have a treat for you! We have Paul’s Short Rib Roll recipe for you to try at home!
SHORT RIB ROLLS
- 1.5 kg short ribs on the bone
- 200mls red wine
- 200mls beef stock
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 bay leaves
- Large sprig of sage
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- Some fresh bread rolls
- Set the oven to 160deg.
- Put the beef in a small, deep roasting tray, it needs to have just enough space to accommodate the beef and the liquid.
- Bring the wine and stock to the boil with the mixed spice and the herbs then pour over the beef.
- Season, then drizzle over the maple syrup.
- Cover tightly with foil and cook for three hours until meltingly tender.
- Remove the meat from the bones and pull apart.
- Strain off the cooking juice, reduce until it starts to thicken.
- Season and keep warm.
For the reduction
- 2 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbs white wine vinegar
- 3 tbs white wine
- A few twists black pepper
- Some tarragon stalks
- 2 egg yolks
- 120g warm melted butter
- Chopped tarragon
- Salt and pepper
- Put all the ingreidents for the reduction into a small pot. Bring to the boil and reduce by half.
- Pick out the tarragon stalks and pour the reduction into a large bowl.
- Put the egg yolks in with the liquid, place the bowl over a simmering pot of water but the pot should not touch the water – it need to be gently steaming.
- Whisk the egg yolks and reduction together until the colour lightens and it becomes mousse like. This should take about five minutes. Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove the bowl onto a tea towel and start to whisk the butter in little by little until it amalgamates and becomes the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Add the chopped tarragon, check for seasoning. Then keep in a warm place.
- To serve, fill the rolls with the beef and drizzle over the béarnaise sauce.
Paul Flynn’s Food Truck Favourites continues on RTÉ One on Wednesdays at 8pm