Fancy making a treat the whole family will devour? You need to try these milk chocolate lamingtons. Enjoy a luxurious Lindt twist on this tropical Australian classic featuring a delicate, light sponge encased in smooth and creamy milk chocolate, sprinkled with sweet coconut.
This recipe makes 24 squares and here’s everything you need:
- 200 g caster sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 60 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 100 g Lindt EXCELLENCE Extra Creamy, chopped
- 180 ml full-fat milk
- 500 g icing sugar
- 270 g desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven 180°C/160 Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line a 23 x 33-cm / 9 x 13-inch traybake tin with greaseproof paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract on high speed for about 10 minutes or until tripled in volume.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a spatula, fold into the egg mix, followed by the melted butter – try to keep in as much air as possible.
- Pour into the prepared tin and smooth over the top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile make the icing: Place the chopped chocolate into a large heat-proof bowl and set aside. Pour the milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and pour over the chopped chocolate, whisking until melted. Whisk in the icing sugar until smooth. Leave to cool.
- When the cake is cool, remove from the tin and slice into 24 equal-sized pieces (about 5 cm square).
- Tip the desiccated coconut onto a baking sheet. Dip a cake square in the cooled icing, coating all sides, and let the excess drip off. Coat square in the desiccated coconut and place on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Continue with remaining squares.
- Chill for about 30 minutes or until the icing has set.